Masa is one of Nigeria’s tasty and healthy meal popular among the northerners. However, masa is a super food that taste really good if you eat it, it’s a wholesome meal..
On this article I’ll take you through my masa recipe and preparation plus how to make miyan taushe – Masa sauce.
RECIPE FOR MASA
1. 2 cups of rice
2. 2 tbs sugar
4. 1/4 tsp baking powder
5. 1/2 tsp yeast
6. 1 fresh small okra
7. Chopped Onion
8. 1/2 tsp salt
9. 2tbs flour
10. 1/2 cup cooked rice
PROCESS AND PREPARATION
– Wash and soak the 2 cups of rice for about 6 hours.
– Cook the 1/2 cup of rice until it gets soft.
– After 6 hours, drain the 2 cup of rice and wash thoroughly.
– Then add the drained 2 cups of rice, the 1/2 cup cooked rice and the okra together with little water and blend to a smooth paste.
– Now add the yeast, salt and sugar and mix well.
– Allow the mixed batter to rise for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
– After 30 minutes to 1 hour add the chopped onions and baking powder and mix well, add more water if desired.
– Place the masa frying pan on the heat.
– Add oil greasily to the hot masa frying pan and then scoop in the batter.
– Allow to cook for 30 seconds on medium heat before flipping the other side consecutively.
– Serve hot with your desired sauce. Preferably taste yummy with miyan taushe – see recipe of miyan taushe below.
Note: Don’t allow your Masa batter to rise too much to prevent flat and oil soaked masa and the okra is a secret tip to prevent the Masa from collapsing when it gets cold.
RECIPE FOR MASA SAUCE (MIYAN TAUSHE)
1. Vegetables preferably spinach
2. 1/4 Pumpkin fruit (Kabewa)
7. Palm oil
9. Groundnut (optional)
10. Beef or Chevon
– Cook the Chevon or beef adding all desired seasonings to taste.
– Then cook the pumpkin fruit or Kabewa until it gets soft and allow to cold.
– Blend the the pumpkin to a paste.
– Put on the heat and place a pot on it, add the palm oil and let it on medium heat adding ginger, onions and tomatoes, cook for 3 minute.
– Then add the blended pumpkin which would thicken the sauce and also add seasoning and allow to simmer for another 3 minutes.
– Finally, add the chopped spinach and allow to cook for 30 seconds.
– Your masa sauce – miyan taushe is ready to serve.
Serve hot with Masa.